Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Feeling Great!

    So it's been four days since my surgery, and I feel great! I can breathe deeply now. I only feel sore if I bend over or go from a lying to sitting position. Yeah, it's like I've done 1001 crunches.
    Fortunately, I haven't had much nausea, no throwing up. I've been tolerating my liquid diet, but honestly, I'm hungry. LIQUIDS SUCK!  I've been averaging 500 - 700 calories per day. This seems unfathomable to me. I used to eat meals that were 800 calories.
    The hardest part is cooking for my son...but I want to do this for him. I want to thank him for how well he took care of me immediately after my surgery. And, honestly, I need this challenge for myself. Let's face it, the temptations will still be there. And I need to know that I can face them head on and succeed. Each meal, each day is a notch in my belt of success.
    I've been working out at the gym. Again, another challenge is to push through the soreness and get my butt moving.
    My incisions are still closed but I've had to wear BandAids because I keep finding little, tiny blood spots on my t-shirts. Especially at the top incisions, where my underwire kind of digs into them.
    My first post-op appointment is August 2. I return to work tomorrow. I think I'll do okay, I do seem to tire easily, but we'll see how it goes. I won't know unless I try.

5 comments:

  1. Poor you. Bandster hell is tough but we all go through it. Try to find some thicker soups or shakes, that may help a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working out int he gym already??? I had to wait six weeks. Maybe you should ask your doctor about this..... maybe just take walks for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let me clarify. When this 'couch potato' says, "work out", she simply means walking on a treadmill or riding the bike. No lifting, nothing strenuous. It's just 100% more activity than I would have done in my former life. :-)

      Delete
  3. yay you for getting to the workout! my doc said as long as my body felt ok to go for the workout, as in walking) but to listen to my body and not overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've learned with my osteoarthritis, the more I move, the better I feel. If I lay around too much, my joints really suffer (feet, ankles, knees & back).

      Delete