Saturday, July 21, 2012

Post-op Day One

    What a difference a day makes. Everything is a little better today. Less sore, I'm able to be more mobile. I slept remarkably well last night, waking only once to pee. The hardest transfer for me to make is from lying in bed to standing. But I'm doing better each time. I instinctively support my incisions when I make this transfer, either with a small pillow or just my arm.
    I started using my food diary toay. I'm jotting down everything I eat (or drink, I should say), its caloric content, protein content, and fat content. So far I have able to tolerate tea, Crystal Light, clear broth, protein shakes, sugar-free Popsicles, and even sugar-free pudding. Sometimes I feel 'bloated', but I've been using Gas-EX strips (recommended by my surgeon), and they are remarkable!! They really help!  I've also taken my pain medication (Lortab elixir) a few times.  It still hurts most when I take a deep breath. But, considering they stitched up my diaphragm to prevent my hiatal hernia, I'm sure this is to be expected.
    I only felt nauseous once, last evening, but I broke my Phenergan pill into four pieces and swallowed one at a time. The nausea subsided within 15 minutes. Hooray!  The last thing I want to be doing is gagging and/or throwing up. I cannot imagine how painful that would be. Thank the Heavens for modern medicine.
    So here is the picture of my five incisions!
The big one in the middle on bottom is where my 'port' is located.


7 comments:

  1. glad to hear your doing a little better. with each day it'll get better. i only have 4 incisions, i'm wondering why you have 5?? anyhoo, welcome to bandland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told they could do anywhere from 3 to 7 incisions, depending on 'density' (love that term!), size, and other procedures. I had my hiatal hernia repaired, so I'm not sure if that requires more incisions or not? Anyway, however many incisions it takes for the surgeon to see what he is doing and not stitch my pancreas to my vajajay, I'm for it!! LOL

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you're doing well after surgery. These next few days are going to be rough. I swear, my first two weeks after the surgery were the longest two weeks of my entire life. But, as always, it's only temporary. :) Good luck! Soon, you'll be alongside me and Z training for the Rock n Roll marathon. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, each day does get better. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back to work in 48hrs? I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow, then let my boss know if I can't make it. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Nice pic! Good to hear that you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Welcome to Bandsterville. Glad you are on the mend and not suffering too much.

    ReplyDelete