Monday, July 2, 2012

Saboteurs!

I'd read on other blogs to beware of others who try to sabotage our efforts. Of course I thought, "none of my friends would say/do that!" 

Then it happened. I told some friends about my plans, and I was deluged with horror stories. Everybody apparently knows somebody who knows somebody who worked with/is related to/lives near someone who had the LapBand done and lost weight but then GAINED IT ALL BACK! PLUS SOME!! As if by hearing this cautionary tale, I'd suddenly 'come to my senses' and back out of the procedure!

When someone tells me they are going to buy a Brand X car, I don't tell them about my cousin's friend's co-worker who had THE EXACT SAME CAR AND WRECKED IT DRIVING IT OFF THE LOT!! Because honestly, what does one have to do with the other?

My response to the above argument: getting a LapBand is like getting a treadmill. If I don't use it correctly, I will not lose weight. If I don't follow the safety precautions, yes I can be injured. This is a chance I am willing to take. This is my body/my investment/my life and I will do with it what I want THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Another (plus-sized) friend was quick to say, "Gee, when you lose the weight, you'll stop hanging with the likes of me. You'll hang with the skinny folks"  Wow. I didn't quite know what to say to this one. But now I do.

My response to the above argument: if, in two years time, I'm no longer speaking with you, it's probably because you CONTINUE TO SABOTAGE MY EFFORTS OF LIVING A HEALTHY LIFE, and not because of some imaginary "I'm hot, you're not" scenario. I have friends of all shapes and sizes. I choose my friends because of what they do and what they say, NOT HOW THEY LOOK. I'm not that shallow.

Have you discovered some saboteurs in your midst? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment